If you’re considering adding any kind of home elevator or lift to your home or that of a loved one, one of the first things you’ll likely be thinking about is general upkeep and maintenance. Elevators need some occasional attention to ensure they’re functioning properly and safely, and knowing how this program should work can help save you lots of time and money.
At A+ Elevators & Lifts, we’re here not only to provide a wide selection of residential elevators and lift products, but also to offer maintenance, service and repairs for all of our products. What are the key benefits of paying close attention to your elevator’s maintenance needs, and how often should professional maintenance typically be done? Here are some simple facts to consider.
Value of Regular Elevator Upkeep
Firstly, why should you care about maintaining your home elevator or lift? There are several reasons why doing so provides you real value, including:
- Saving money: For starters, regular maintenance can actually save you money over time. By addressing small issues before they become bigger, more expensive problems, you’ll end up saving big in the long run. For instance, let’s say a tiny crack forms in your elevator’s door. If you don’t deal with it right away, that crack will only get bigger and could eventually lead to the door breaking entirely. Not only will you have to replace the door, but since the door is a key safety component, you’ll likely be forced to shut down your elevator until repairs are made – incurring lost time and money in the process.
- Maintaining safety: Of course, another big reason to maintain your elevator is safety. Your elevator is a complex machine with lots of moving parts, and if any of those parts isn’t working properly, it could pose a serious safety hazard. Regular maintenance will help ensure that your elevator is always operating safely and correctly.
- Preventing downtime: Downtime is one of the biggest headaches when it comes to elevators. If your elevator isn’t working, it can cause major disruptions – especially if it’s your only means of getting in and out of your home. Regular maintenance will help keep your elevator up and running, preventing costly and inconvenient downtime.
- Peace of mind: For many people, the biggest benefit of regular elevator maintenance is simply peace of mind. Knowing that your elevator is regularly inspected and serviced by professionals can give you the confidence that it’s always safe and ready to use.
- Forming good habits: Finally, getting into the habit of maintaining your elevator on a regular basis will help ensure that it’s always in good working condition. Just like with anything else, if you neglect your elevator, it’s more likely to break down and need repairs. But if you form the habit of regularly checking on it and addressing any issues that come up, you’ll help keep it running smoothly for years to come.
How Often Should I Have My Elevator Inspected and Maintained?
So how often should you have your elevator inspected and maintained? Generally speaking, most experts recommend having a professional inspection at least once a year. This will help ensure that any potential problems are caught early and don’t create bigger issues down the road.
However, there may be some specific factors that will impact how often you should have this process carried out, including:
- Elevator model: The model of your elevator will play a role in how often you need to have it serviced. For instance, newer models are often more reliable and require less maintenance than older ones.
- Elevator usage: Another factor to consider is how often you use your elevator. If you only use it sparingly, you may not need to have it inspected as often as someone who uses it every day.
- Elevator location: The location of your elevator can also be a factor. If it’s located in an area with high humidity or extreme temperatures, you may need to have it inspected more frequently to prevent damage from the elements.
- Contract or warranty: For many who have purchased an elevator, there may be a contract or warranty in place that outlines how often the unit should be serviced. Be sure to check your contract or warranty agreement to see if this is the case.
- Local regulations: You may not have been aware of this, but there are some areas where local regulations require elevators to be serviced more frequently. In these cases, it’s important to follow the regulations to avoid any penalties or fines.
As you can see, there are a few different factors that can impact how often you need to have your elevator inspected and maintained. However, in most cases, once a year should be sufficient.
Bottom line: Regular elevator maintenance is important for many reasons. By having your elevator inspected and serviced on a regular basis, you can help extend its lifespan, prevent costly repairs, and ensure that it’s always safe to use.
If you’re not sure how often you should have your elevator serviced, be sure to consult with a professional. They will be able to assess your specific situation and recommend a schedule that’s right for you.
At A+ Elevators & Lifts, we’re happy to provide a full range of service and maintenance options for all types of elevators and lifts. Contact us today to learn more about our services or to schedule a consultation.